When we hop in the van to take a road trip, we always make sure that everyone has at least one or two books to read. Since there are five of us in the family, we definitely have to find a way to save on the price of books. That’s why we love used books stores. But some used books stores across the nation are better than others. Here are two of my favorites.
Used Books Stores across the Nation
One of our favorite used book stores is located in Tennessee. We love Mckays Used Books, CD’s Movies & More. There are 3 Tennessee locations – Knoxville, Chattanooga & Nashville. Several times a year on the way to see family, we make our stop in Knoxville. We always walk out with stacks of ‘new to us’ books and media and almost NEVER pay a penny!
Here’s how it works:
- We save our unwanted books and media.
- Take them to the trade-in counter at McKays.
- After browsing and waiting for about 30 minutes, they give us trade-in credit. (or cash if you prefer but you don’t get as much)
- Then we make our ‘purchases’ with the trade in credit we just got.
They accept almost all books, cds, video cassettes, dvds, all electronic games and even vinyl records.
Tips to make the most of your visit:
- They won’t take older books or really used looking books.
- What they don’t take, you can either take back home or donate to the free box out front.
- You will get more ‘bang for the buck’ if you take trade credit instead of cash. (We always get trade!)
- If you don’t take any books or trade materials, you will find that the prices are (in my opinion) a little high for used books and games.
Last week I took a quick trip to Lexington Half Price Book Store with a stack of books I was done with. In about 20 minutes they were ready with an offer. They gave me a ticket worth $20.00! That ticket is good for any merchandise in the store or you cash it out and walk away with your money. Since I was already in Lexington for errands, I was able to turn 20 minutes of time into a $20 bill! (Located on Nicholasville Road before you get to the mall)
Half Price Books are located all across the country! Click here to find a store near you.